How to choose a career that's right for you
These steps have been designed to help you get an understanding of what opportunities are out there, and where you might find the right fit.
Where to begin
- Job boards such as Target Jobs, Grad Cracker, and Debut pull together job openings from lots of sources
- Glassdoor, Times top 100 employers can give great detail on what it’s like to work for companies
- Job matching tools such as Prospects
- Investigate the company values – do they match yours?
- Look on company websites for interviews with current employers and case studies of the work they do
- Read up on news about what the company have been doing recently, does it interest you?
- What are your strengths? What do you enjoy?
- What is the most important thing you want from a job?
- Do you prefer individual assignments, or team ones?
- Where are you willing to compromise for the perfect job? (eg location or salary)
- ‘Look up your dream job and work out what experience you need to get you there’
- ‘Do an online course to get a taster of what is involved in roles e.g. try programming’
- ‘Don’t limit your search based on your degree or experience; keep an open mind while researching jobs’
- ‘Reach out to friends and family who work in different sectors to get a real feel for their experiences’